Birthright is specialises in working with families led by one person. For over 65 years, we have proudly worked to strengthen and enrich the lives of New Zealand children and families.
Through our services and advocacy work we put the family/whānau at the centre of what we do and the wellbeing of the child is our priority.
Birthright comprises of a National Office, Birthright New Zealand as well as 11 affiliate organisations located around New Zealand. Each regional affiliate offers a range of social services for children and parents of families.
Birthright New Zealand focuses on advocating at a national level for the rights and wellbeing of the children of families led by one person as well as supporting affiliate organisations.
Birthright New Zealand is the only social services organisation that specialises in families led by one person.
Find your local Birthright and learn about the services we offer in your community or free call your local Birthright on 0800 457 146.
What we believe
We believe that:
- it is every child's 'birth-right' to a good start in life (which is where our name, Birthright, was originally derived from)
- children deserve to get help and assistance in times of crisis for them and their parent/s
- all children shoudl have the opportunity to reach their full potential
- the current environment includes social systems and strutures which make it more difficult for children from families led by one person to receive their 'birth-right'
- families can succeed on their own terms but may need support during parts of their journey.