To manage your money successfully you need to know how much you have and what you're spending it on. To do this you need to create a budget so that you know how much money you receive (income) and how much you spend (expenses). The object is to keep your expenses at or below your income. Set yourself financial goals and make a plan! Check out this tool to learn how to create a budget.
There are many agencies that specialise in helping people manage their money:
- Sorted is New Zealand's free independent money guide. It's full of calculators and information to help you manage your personal finances throughout life.
- The New Zealand Federation of Family Budgeting Services Inc is a collective of community organisations sharing a common code of ethics, philosophy, and commitment to delivering top quality, free budgeting advice to family/whanau and individuals.
- The Salvation Army can guide you through tough financial circumstances, liaise with debtors on your behalf, and connect you with other areas of the Salvation Army that can help.
- The Wellington City Mission has a budgeting service help clients to manage their financial affairs independently.
- MoneyTalks is a free helpline available to provide free budgeting advice to individuals, family and whanau. Call 0800 345 123.
You should also check out what budgeting help is available near you by visiting our Locations page.